Molokhia is a meal made of Molokhia leaves, cooked in a meat based soup.
Molokhia often spelt as Molokhia, Molokheya or Mulukhiya which is also called Jews Mallow, Jute Mallow or Mallow Leaves is often taken with Kisra(origin Sudan) or Injera(origin Eritrea), a flat unleavened bread.
Molokhia has a slippery consistency like okra, and the taste varies pending on the cooking method employed. It can be made from fresh, frozen, dried or preserved leaves.
ALSO READ: How to make aswad salad
1. 2 packs frozen Molokhia
2. 1 red onion
3. 1 tsp blended Garlic cloves
4. 2 lbs lamb meat, cubed, bones included
5. 1 tsp Baking soda
6. 2 tsp Salt
7. ¼ tsp coriander, ground
8. ¼ tsp black pepper, ground
9. 1 tbsp Dill, fresh, finely chopped
1. In a large pot, put some lamb meat, onion and add 3 cups of water. Cook on medium for 45 minutes.
2. Add 2 packs of unfrozen Molokhia ( remove from packaging) into the pot.
3. Add fresh dill, black pepper, coriander, baking powder and salt to taste.
4. In a small saute pan, heat up a tablespoon of vegetable or olive oil on medium heat. Add in crushed cloves of garlic and fry until golden brown.
5. Once the garlic is ready, bring the pan over the pot with the Molokhia in it and then ladle some of the Molokhia over the garlic.
That’s it. Molokhia is ready.